Review: Half Caste

 

So I'm doing a review of something that isn't a movie? That's new.

Anyway Half Caste is a drama manga written and illustrated by local Zambian mangaka Tabs-Kun.

PLOT

The plot follow four half Zambian/half Japanese sisters(Ella, Julie, Stella and Lilly) as they go to live in Japan after the travel ban was lifted after a deadly virus closed down all airports. On the other side of things, it also follows an emotionally closed off artist named Toshiro and his successful art career.

I honestly find the plot really interesting. It balances two different plots at once and both plots intersect seamlessly through the plot element of an art contest and through the girls exploring more of their mom's heritage.

CHARACTERS

I really like the characters. Especially Ella, I enjoyed how laid back she was compared to her sisters and I loved how Julie was the sort of leader out of all of them with her being the oldest and the author really did something great with making her have some depth of character. Another amazing character is Toshiro, his compelling back story and cynical world view add a level of darkness to the story.

VISUALS

The visuals were spectacular, I particularly love how the backgrounds look and I love the character designs and pretty much how everything looks.

FINAL THOUGHTS

I really like how grounded the book is, I don't particularly love slice of life or dramas but this one was pretty good and I can't wait to see where this story goes

9/10

Comments

Popular Posts