REVIEW: THE SUICIDE SQUAD

 

I gotta start doing these reviews on time. Anyway, The suicide squad is a sort of soft reboot of the awful, cringe worthy, horribly written, dumpster fire that was 2016's Suicide Squad.

Rather than being an overly edgy mess that appeals to those 16 year olds who put Sasuke from Naruto as their profile pic and "related" to the 2019 Joker movie, this movie was more edgy but..in a good way.

Directed by James Gunn( Director of the Guardians of the Galaxy franchise), the suicide squad follows the titular suicide squad otherwise known as task force x as they infiltrate an island holding a mysterious science project called project Starfish.

 The movie follows Bloodsport (played by Idris Elba) a mercenary with a high-tech suit with a lot of guns, Peace-maker (played by JOHN CENA) a mercenary with a strong sense of peace and he doesn't care how many men, women or children he has to kill to get said peace, Harley Quinn is reprised by Margot Robbie and as expected is the best part of the movie though others might argue it's King Shark played by Sylvester Stallone. There's other characters but I'm too lazy to mention them all so let's keep going.

My Thoughts On The Plot

The plot was gas, it felt like everything the 2016 suicide squad was supposed to be. Though it felt like some characters lacked motivation it really came together nicely. The R18 rating also compliments the plot really well with the fact that characters can and will die at any given moment in a very gruesome way similar to the Amazon prime superhero show "The boys". The plot does drag at some point and the movie feels slow but it's alright.

My Thoughts On The Characters

I loved every character in this movie, from Amanda Waller (played by Viola Davis) to Polkadot man played by the one and only David Dastlamachian.

I can't go through every character so I'll speed run through the ones I liked.


I really liked Harley's arc in this movie, it showed that she's really grown since the 2016 one and birds of prey. She has a lot more self love now and she shows a lot more empathy than in the past movies.


For the record this is not Deadshot, he doesn't even look like he could live in bel-air. Bloodsport was a cool addition to the cast, his motivation to protect his daughter who he has a bad relationship with is really sweet and I personally liked it.


I don't have much to say about Ratcatcher 2. I liked her father and daughter relationship with Bloodsport, I liked her power to control rats as gross as is, I liked her pet rat Sebastian and I found it funny that she always kept trying to sleep.


Polkadot man was an interesting character, he had a crumbling mental state that was hilarious and kinda sad to see manifest into some... interesting hallucinations.

King Shark was the most entertaining character, just an adorable Shark monster thing that loves his friends and eating people and honestly everyone needs a King Shark in their life.


Rick Flag was a lot more interesting in this movie than In the last one. He was still a cliche soldier but at least he was likable this time.


I really loved peacemaker, John Cena really brought his A-game to this role and I really didn't think he had it in him. He was hilarious when he needed to be and serious when he needed to be, I honestly can't wait for the peacemaker spin-off series on HBO Max.



The thinker was the weakest part of this movie for me, he didn't feel like a compelling antagonist at all, however Peter Capaldi gave a stellar performance in this role.

James Gunn's Directorial Style


This man should direct any and all comic book properties with obscure characters. This movie really proved his range because I'm sure homie could've pulled this off even without the R rating. The use of bright colors and weird characters contrasting with the dark undertones of the story has been evident in his previous work on  Guardians of the Galaxy and I honestly can't wait to see his next projects.

Verdict
The suicide squad is a fun, violent and entertaining watch and is far better than the 2016 version, with a much better story and much better execution of characters and is in my opinion the best movie in the DCEU so far.

9/10 Phenomenal.

Be sure to comment though, I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on the movie.
Follow me on Twitter @Blackerenjeager and on Instagram @mugejin48. Peace out and Stan King Shark.








Comments

  1. I'm gonna fight you on this one, I HIGHLY disagree. mostly cause the trailers highlighted the massive cast of characters and we were led to believe that we would be seeing a lot from each character. only for 8/10 characters to be killed barely 30min into the movie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts